Monday, April 22, 2013

Email from Eric Powers

Hello!
I should have sent this out long ago, but alas I'll do better in the future. It looks like my email is working better as well now.

Welcome to the 10th Annual Quail vs Ticks Study!!!! I can't believe that I've been doing this for 10 years now…! And it's only possible because of YOUR participation, so THANK YOU!

How's it going so far this year? Most have already started incubating their quail eggs, and a few schools will be starting their incubating soon. Please keep in touch…let me know when your Quail eggs hatch, and how many…so I can plan out space and food at the Quail Flight Cages at Caleb Smith State Park.

You'll need to get your DEC Collect/Possess Permit, which costs $10 per year. You can download the permit from the NYS DEC website. (Normally I would insert a link but then most schools will put this email into junk mail because of the hyperlink!)

If you are RENEWING your license, then you'll need to send in your "Annual Report" along with your renewal paperwork. Just state the simple facts for this annual report, something like this, "In March 2012 I incubated 25 northern bobwhite quail eggs with my 2nd grade students. 20 chicks hatched. We donated all surviving chicks to Eric Powers of Your Connection To Nature, to be included in his Quail vs Tick Study 2012."

If you are applying for your permit for the first time, I can walk you through it…just ask.

Need Quail Food? I found a local source…they donate 1 bag of Quail Food to the project for every 2 bags that purchased under the name of "Eric's Quail Project." Here's their info:

Harvest Pride, 639 Old WIllets Path, Hauppauge NY 11778 631.928.8888 Talk to Butch or Demitrius.

Remember to check on YouTube and search for "YC2N" or "Ranger Eric" in order to watch the 2 videos: How to setup your incubator and how to setup your classroom brooder.

This year, we'll be releasing at:

  • Main Release Site: Caleb Smith State Park Preserve, Smithtown.
  • Blydenburgh County Park
  • Hedges Creek County Park
  • and possibly at Orient Point State Park
Please pass around the attached flier…it's an invitation to the 10th Annual Quail Release at Caleb Smith State Park on Saturday June 29, 2013 @9:30am. I hope to see you and all of your students there!

Keep in touch. Tell me what you need...

Sincerely,

Eric



No comments:

Post a Comment